When I first started planning this party for Rachel, I was going to have someone make the cake for me and it was going to be a surprise for Rachel. Well, then I started looking at different ideas, and I decided that I wanted to tackle it myself! So, I e-mailed my good friend Anita Williams, and got her FONDANT recipe! Then, I devised a plan in my head of what I wanted the cake to look like. I was REALLY wanting to make it out of cake, and so was Rachel, but I just kept thinking about how horrible it would be if it fell apart :( So, I decided that I was going to make it out of RICE KRISPIE TREATS!!! I had to convince Rachel that it would be a good idea... that way if any of her friends didn't like cake, then they would still have something to eat! Now she can't wait to eat some of the rice krispies!
Well, now that I have told you all of that, here are a MILLION pictures of how I made this AWESOME "cake"!
To start, I had Andy drill a hole in the wooden base, so that the dowel would stay in place... Then I stuck some KARO on the bottom of the board so it would be "glued" in place on the cake tray!
Here are all my supplies, ready to go... Rachel could hardly wait for me to finish it...
First, I covered the base and tray with GREEN fondant...
and of course, I trimmed the edges...
Then I melted some butter
And while the butter was melting, I greased the :molds"... this will be the housing part of the tower!
A nice little tomato can will be the mold for the tower!
Next, melt some marshmallows...
Add the Rice Krispies...
I pushed the treats down into the can... then slid it up to fill some more... I ended up having to keep pressing it into shape until the marshmallows cooled off...
Time to cool...
Then I put a "crumb" layer on the krispies, to even out the bumps...
I started to "color" the tower with the bricks where the stucco was falling off...
Then I added the stucco...
the back...
and the other side...
the front view...
Then I added the housing... which I re-shaped a little for the room that sticks out more...
and covered it in stucco...
Then I added the wood, and the windows... I know, I am concentrating REALLY hard!
Here is Rapunzel's room!
And the big room that sticks out...
the other view of the big room...
and another big window where the chimney will sit!...
I just layered the roof until it made a peak... the front...
the big room...
and the back...
and the other side...
Next I cut out some of the green from the tray and added a river... I came up with a genius idea all on my own for the water... I put some blue food coloring in some karo and added just a little powdered sugar to make it a little thicker, but not too much! I also made some cool rocks and piped the vines on the tower and a little grass my the river.
Here are some close ups of the top...
the other side of the big room...
the back...
Then I added some flowers and the candle to the bottom... I thought it needed a little more color!
And here it is with all the cupcakes! I made the flowers for the cupcakes out of fondant too! And there are a ton, because Rachel has a T-Ball game tomorrow night that she will be taking treats to!
4 comments:
Way, way AWESOME! Good Job! Have fun tomorrow.
All I can say is WOW! You have done a great job for this party!! Enjoy it and Happy Birthday to the Birthday Princess!!!
you over achiever you it looks awesome I hope the party turned out good!
DUDE! that is so crazy!! i can't believe you made that cake! awesome job:)
Post a Comment