Sunday, June 3, 2012

Gratful For The Knowledge of The Gospel of Jesus Christ!...

This post is a really hard one for me. I am not good with words, and I am sorry for that.

For the past two and a half years I have been babysitting my best friend April's children. She is more than just my best friend. I consider her my sister, and her husband Jake my brother. Her children have become a big part of my life also, they are somewhere between siblings and cousins to my girls. Jake is in the Air Force, so I have known all along that I would not be able to have them here with me forever. It has been a hard thing for me to accept. I even tried to run away to Wyoming before they could leave me, but after only four months I came back. I have recently learned the reason why I had to come back.

Three LONG weeks ago, I received the worst phone call. It was my friend Jake on the other end. Through his tears I could barely hear him. He had to tell me 3 times that he had ran over his son Liam. I was terrified. Luckily I was just heading into my friend Regan's house and my girls were already inside. I quickly told her what happened and shakily drove over to April & Jake's house. As soon as I got in the car I started calling our Bishop. I am grateful I had his cell phone number. I finally got a hold of him and then called Andy. I prayed constantly on the way there for guidance and strength to help me to know what to do.  The 10 minute drive to their house felt like an Eternity. As I was trying to prepare myself for the worst, I was praying for Heavenly Father to give me comfort so I could be strong for April & Jake. When I arrived at the house I was still hopeful that Liam was ok, but reality sunk in as I got out of my car. I hurried inside to try to comfort my friends. Liam had already left in the ambulance. As I hugged my friends I knew deep inside that Liam had passed. The rest of what happened at the house was too personal to share.

After about an hour we were able to head to the hospital.  I arrived shortly after they had already taken April & Jake to be with Liam's body. I was able to go back to be with them. Liam looked so peaceful. As I stood in this small room with my best friends, the Bishop and his 2nd Counselor, I gained a greater understanding for our Heavenly Father's plan. He knew that I would be needed in San Angelo, Texas to help my friend  through the hardest trial she will go through. He has His hand in everything we do.

The next week was a blur. Liam was buried in McEwen, Tennessee next to his baby cousin Ben. Andy and I were able to drive out to Tennessee for the funeral. I am glad that I was able to be there for them. 

April & Jake stayed in Tennessee for a couple weeks. It was the hardest time for me to not be able to be there to comfort them.  I am grateful for cell phones and texting so that I could be there when April needed me.

The blessings of the Gospel were shown abundantly while the Wallace's were in Tennessee. Because they are getting ready to be transferred, they were planning on getting there house ready to sell. While they were gone, the ward members came in and painted, fixed things, and cleaned the carpets so they could get their house listed quickly. They also stocked her upright freezer and refrigerator with freezer meals and food.

A memorial service was held here in San Angelo on Saturday for Liam. It was such a spiritual experience. April was able to get up and speak about Liam and the blessing he was in their lives. She also bore her testimony of the Gospel, and of Heavenly Father's plan for us. She is such an amazing woman and I can only hope to have a portion of her strength.

A few weeks before Liam died, my good friend Tiffany was able to take their family pictures. They were supposed to take them in October when Liam was 2, but Jake was possibly going to be going to a training in July and wouldn't be back until November, so they took them early. What a blessing that was. With the utmost respect, I show you these pictures.
Ezra, Jake, April, Faber, Daphne & Liam Wallace. An Eternal Family.
 Daphne, Ezra, Liam & Faber

These were taken when Liam was only a few days old. Liam was a perfect baby. He never cried, he LOVED chocolate, and he LOVED his family!
 Liam's Obituary:
Our dear son, Liam Axel Wallace, From the moment we saw your face,
we knew we would love you forever.
You came to us on Oct. 22, 2010, such a scrawny little boy.
Your older brothers, Ezra and Faber and sister Daphne loved having you in their lives.
They loved playing with you. You brought such joy to our family
every time you smiled and every moment you were with us.
We had hoped to have you here with us much longer but Heavenly Father
has a much bigger purpose for you.
He called you back to Him on May 14, 2012.
We will always hold you in our hearts and look forward to the day
we are reunited as an eternal family. Until we meet again... 
Love, Mom and Dad (Jacob and April Wallace)

3 comments:

GrannySharon said...

What a sweet, sweet post. I am touched, Emma. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and love that you have for this family. Such a tragedy, but the Gospel gives us the knowledge of eternal happiness, which was so beautifully expressed in Liam's obituary.
I add my testimony that he is with Heavenly Father. I have seen so many of these tragedies in the lives of my friends and have watched as the Spirit blesses them with the knowledge that their children were called at that time for a purpose. Heaven is not so far away for these families...he watches over them!
I have prayed for you, specifically, too. You are such a good woman. I love you and I haven't known you very long...in this life, anyway!!

Packer Family said...

I am glad the you were able to be there for them. Family and friends are important to help get you through the tough time.

Reeds said...

I am so sorry to hear what happened to your dear friends. I truly hope that a part of your hearts will be able to heal. I am truly sorry that such an experience of losing a child came to all of you. You will all be in our prayers.