Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Peaches & Mud!...

I'm sure that I have helped can things before, but I guess I was too young to know what was going on. If I had known that canning fruit was this easy...

First, you buy some fruit! (Yummy Utah Peaches!)

Then you wash the jars.

Then you peel the fruit and cut it to fit in the jars!

Then you mix some sugar and water... the more sugar the sweeter! (I did a light syrup)

Then you put as many jars that fit into the steamer!

Close the lid and turn on the flame! Don't these other jars just look sad that they have to wait!

Then your Dad leaves and sees what the kids are up to in the front yard...

Apparently he left the water on a little too long... what was the garden is now a pond!

So, you say, "Hey kids, why don't you just take your clothes off so they don't get ruined!" The kids then agree and we have a naked mud bath! Man was I glad I had just cut all of Rachel's hair off!

Then you go back inside to see that the peaches are finally done! You start the next batch in the steamer and when they are done you take them out too! Note: Rebecca really likes to be held like a sack of potatoes!

The finished product! We only did 12 jars... we wanted to leave some fresh ones to eat too! And yes, I really did do a lot of the work... I was just the camera happy one and made Mom pose every time she did anything!

What a fun last day for the kids to spend together at Papa and Grandmas' house! Tomorrow... we head to Phoenix!

1 comment:

Michael + Rena said...

wow! I didn't know you could can them like that...hmmmm...guess I'll have to try that one. The mud bath looks like a ball!, you should have jumped in too!!